Thursday, February 01, 2007

Numbers and randomness


Here I go again with the chaos/order quandary. As you can see, my PWT Saturn rolled all the way to one hundred twenty-three thousand four hundred fifty-six miles. And I had my camera in the car. And I thought it was sufficiently significant to take the picture and post it. Now I have a series of photos of this odometer. So what?

The other day I was playing ping-pong with Jonboy and the student minister came in and asked if I would say the prayer at the women's basketball game that night. (I work for a Baptist university, so we say prayers at the games.) What do you pray for? I thanked God for the energy and enthusiasm of the students and asked him to keep everyone safe and that the game would be an example of good sportmanship. Afterwards, Jonboy said, "Sportsmanship?!" And a long-time staff member told me at halftime, "You shoulda prayed that we would beat the hell out of them!" Our team lost miserably. Answered prayer?

snow leafI took this photo because I admired the leaf. It lies there valiantly day in and day out absorbing what little heat there is in the air and warming the ice below. Maybe just the slow act of deteriorating is generating heat. Making a difference even on the way out. I should learn something from this leaf.

3 comments:

jonboy said...

I want to clarify that I believe my question was "Sportsmanship? What's that?"
Of course, you bring up and interesting point that I think I will write a post about on my blog.

spookyrach said...

Love this!

Patti said...

Nice number, nice leaf. I'm going to have to rely on memory for what melting snow is like. It's cod today! (12)