Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Becoming cyborgs

Have you thought about how dependent we are becoming on technology? A human who depends on mechanical devices for some physiological functions is called a cyborg. Are we all becoming cyborgs?

One day I went to the dry cleaners to pick up a quilt we had left there. The young lady who fetched the quilt told me the cost of the cleaning--$14.60. I handed her a $20-dollar bill and she apologized because the cash registers were not working. "We'll have to do this the old-fashioned way," she said as she reached for a pocket calculator. "No, the old-fashioned way would be to do it in your head," I replied. She laughed and said, "Yeah, right!"

Yes, we have become increasingly dependent on technology in the last century. But that has been true of human development from the beginning. Who in the industrialized world can look up at the stars at night and know immediately what direction is north? Out of a hundred Westerners, who can weave a bowl out of reeds tight enough to carry liquids?

9 comments:

annie said...

This may not make sense, but I think I observed a little evidence of this in the aftermath of the hurricanes. The folks in the more rural parts of Louisiana were better able to fend for themselves than the folks in the "citified" areas. The loss of all the modern conveniences (brought to them by modern technology) was not as devastating to the rural folks because they were not as dependent on the modern systems.

And also along these lines, I saw an interesting youtube video the other day about web development...I'll send you the link.

I sometimes embarrass my children by trying to quickly teach some of these young cashiers how to count change back by "counting up". It drives me nuts that they have no concept of how to count change back to a customer, or even how to make change without the computer telling them what they need to know. By and large, the young cashiers do not appreciate my free lessons in making change!

spookyrach said...

I think you are right, Annie. We discussed that very thing several times after the hurricanes. It does seem like the rural folks have more resources to help them be more self-sufficient.

Anonymous said...

aeven our university bookstore clerks have trouble making change. Nevertheless, I confess that if I lost power and running watter for longer than a few days, I'd be in real trouble.

You also remind me of the question: How far away from the coming singularity are we now?

Anonymous said...

(sorry about the typo)
I am particularly disappointed when even our university bookstore clerks have trouble making change. Nevertheless, I confess that if I lost power and running watter for longer than a few days, I'd be in real trouble.

You also remind me of the question: How far away from the coming singularity are we now?

Princess of Everything (and then some) said...

We have really made ourselves weak haven't we?

jonboy said...

I'll be the first to admit that I'm not sure I could properly do my job without email and digital photography.

But the only reason the people in the city had more trouble after the hurricane is because George Bush likes them less. It was all his fault ... didn't you guys listen to the TV commentators?

Anonymous said...

Didn't he cause the hurricane in the first place?

little david said...

All that hot air, you know. Caused considerable turbulence.

Carolanne said...

One of the things I try to teach my young students is "automatic response" - being able to add, divide, multiply and subtract without using their fingers. I think it's sad that people can't calculate in their heads and although I claim to hate maths, I still play quick maths games (in my head) as I do shopping etc.