Sunday, February 18, 2007

Antique--Photo Hunters posting


When I first thought about the antiques that I might photograph, I went to our shelves in the living room where we have all kinds of stuff displayed. Here is a shelf with a couple of little figures that we bought in France over 25 years ago. But they are not antiques. The bowl behind them is. It is a Rosewood piece that was given to my parents for a wedding gift. It is one of the few ceramic pieces that I inherited which does not have a chip in it.

Then I remembered that we have something really antique. The statuette was given to us by a friend from Mexico who lives in Hawaii. She described it as pre-Columbian. Well, I have not done any research on it. Maybe it is that old. Or maybe it's just made out of concrete. But it looks old.

While I was pondering this, it struck me that we have some undeniably ancient items in our display shelf. I mean what is older than rocks? This geode has a wonderful sparkle to it. I think that I will feature some of our rocks in upcoming postings. We have a few that are rather unusual (got 'em in Australia).

7 comments:

Paul said...

Hi Little David! Good to hear from you and thanks for leaving a comment on my blog and it is kind that you are referring to my blog in your blog roll. I will read your postings too - already looks very interesting to me, let's stay in touch!
Blessings from the Netherlands
Paul Abspoel

annie said...

Cool antiquities David. The rock looks like it could be a model for some of the Hubble photographs.

Patti said...

Wow. So cool. I love your taste in old stuff!

Lori said...

Oh the Roseville is awesome. I have a couple of pieces of that. I collect 30's and 40's pottery. The geodes are gorgeous.

spookyrach said...

Love the photo of the geode!

Carolanne said...

I thought I left a message here about cool rocks in Australia - was wondering if you climbed Uluru Rock.

little david said...

Sorry, Carolanne, it was too brief a visit for that. We stayed in the Sydney area mostly, and our only outings were along the coast. If you want to see my comments and photos from the trip, look in my archives under August 2006.