Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Waiting and waiting and waiting

For the last hour I have been on the phone waiting for a customer "service" representative to finally activate two cell phones. I bought these phones online almost six weeks ago. The deal was that I would get the phones, a year's availability of service, and 270 minutes all for $99 each. I could add minutes at any time over the internet. Long-distance and local minutes are counted the same. Sounds good, huh?

Well, the problem is that the prefix assigned to the phones was for an area outside my town. That meant that anyone wishing to call me would have to dial long-distance. I spent hours on the phone trying to remedy the problem. Packages containing SIM cards were sent. Phones were re-activated then de-activated. Finally, they sent me new phones. And that's what I spent over an hour getting activated tonight. Completely missed the Dixie Chicks on Larry King Live.

And then I think about people who live in Russia, who stand in lines as a matter of course. People in Ethiopia who would be glad to stand in a line if it led to an extra meal. People who wait and wait and wait in Indonesia for disaster relief. Maybe I need to learn patience.

7 comments:

SplineGuy said...

We at the Franklin house feel your pain. We went through a very similar ordeal with our venture into TracFone. All is well now, but it was no short trial. See here: Trac This!

annie said...

It's amazing what an adjustment in perspective does to the view of our problems, isn't it?...Changes the whole entire picture.

(Hope you soon get problems resolved.)

Princess of Everything (and then some) said...

We are so spoiled aren't we? We do not have a clue.

jonboy said...

Patience ... pffffp. I'd leave an insightful comment, but I don't have time.

spookyrach said...

Ugh. If you need to learn patience, then cell phone companies need to learn the value of good customer service.

Sorry you missed the Dixie Chicks! And - we would be totally thrilled to have your company on our next camping trip! I don't know when it will be, but I'm hoping soon. I'm trying to get out of town as much as possible this summer.

Patti said...

I try to put it in perspective, when I'm impatient, with satire. "Hello, I'm wasting seconds! Maybe minutes, here! I'd rather be wasting my time reading blogs or figuring out the features on my new phone!" No, we don't have a clue. You are not a typical Baptist, are you?

little david said...

No, Patti, I am not a typical Baptist; I am a real Baptist. I have studied the Bible and Christian history and Baptist history and still choose to be a Baptist. Autonomy of the church, soul competency, and priesthood of the believer are not just concepts for me; they describe my convictions about how to live in this world.