Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Handbells

As some of you may recall, I play handbells in a church handbell choir. We really love what we do and we took a trip to Hong Kong last summer to play in churches and outdoors. It was swelteringly hot, but the beneficial effects of the trip still remain. The Kowloon International Baptist Church has had several handchime concerts with the set of chimes we left for them.

There are a few songs that I have written over time. Trust me, I am a complete amateur, so it is a lot of work with meager results. Anyway, I did write an arrangement of one of the songs specifically for handbells. The choir has been practicing it (and I have amended and reworked some sections) for performance. Yesterday, a student in the music department of our university entered the music into a composing program which prints it out looking like "official" sheet music. I am pretty excited. When I told the head of the music department, she wrote down the performance date and time. Maybe she will be there. It is slated for June 4 as an offertory. Y'all come.

7 comments:

spookyrach said...

Cool! What song did you do an arrangment of? Can't wait to hear it.

See you in a couple of weeks. (Going camping this weekend. Yippee!)

annie said...

That is exciting (and cool) news!

jonboy said...

Aww man! Does that mean I actually have to stay for the church service on June 4 and I can't skip out after Sunday School?

little david said...

Rachel, it's a song that I wrote. You won't recognize it. It is in C minor, so it is not one of those chirpy happy songs. You'll love it. Happy campin'.

Do you read music, annie? I could send the sheet music.

And Jonboy, no making silly faces during the performance!

spookyrach said...

Ooooh! I thought you'd arranged an existing song. Now I am even more impressed. I love music in minor keys. My favorite hymns are always the slow, low, dirge-y types of things. Can't wait to hear it!

jonboy said...

Spitwads ... can I shoot spitwads? From where I sit you wouldn't be able to see my face anyway.

Or better yet, we can hold up signs in the balcony proclaiming that your ding-a-ling is off key:)

Anonymous said...

That will be a nice thing to know when I hear it! I have had a blog site for over a year now and I am just redoing it. I want to try and write something every day...we'll see! God bless!!! pdw