Sunday, June 04, 2006

New "watzat"

I ought to be painting the kitchen cabinets right now. I sanded and primed them yesterday (two coats) and the posts and pans and Tupperware containers are stacked all over the counters. But first, let's have a watzat. This was a gift to my dad, who was a banker. Neither of my siblings wanted it as we were sifting through my parents' junk, so I brought it home with me. Guess what it is.



OK, now I am going into the kitchen to get busy. Then there is bell choir practice. Oh, and we did NOT play my piece in church this morning. The program was too crowded. So we will play it on July 2 to transition between the rah-rah patriotic music and a more reflective communion. The title of the piece is "Who Will Rescue?" and one of the choir members suggested that it will "rescue" the service from a surfeit of patriotic hoopla.

13 comments:

annie said...

One of those golf club socks?

A crocheted slipper?

A case for eyeglasses?

jonboy said...

It's a tie or a chair.

I'm glad you didn't play your musical piece on Sunday. I forgot you were supposed to so the fam and I skipped "Big Church."
However, I am surprised anything was cut from the service. I often sit around thinking it is too crowded -- and usually there is too much music. But that's just my opinion.

spookyrach said...

A hat! Its a hat! And there are lederhosen to match. Or maybe not.

I used to always enjoy the 4th of July music at church. 'Specially because there was always a rousing rendition of Battle Hymn of the Republic.

Now? It just makes me sad.

spookyrach said...

A chair, Jonboy????

jonboy said...

Yes. It looks like the edge of a cushion on a really ugly chair.


Ohhhhh! It's suspenders. That's what it is! Yup! Yup! Yup!

spookyrach said...

Are you smokin' something, dude? How does that possibly look even remotely like suspenders? No way, man. Geeze!

(ld - its not really suspenders is it? No. I didn't think so.)

little david said...

Um, no, it is not ORANGE suspenders. (You don't think that I would just throw those in the trash?????) And a chair? What are you on, Jonboy? Been hittin' the meds a little heavy?

Yeah, so we are supposed to play a patriotic medley in the first part of the service (I think it even has Yankee Doodle in it). Then the transition is this minor-key meditation that sounds like a sad waltz. We are all looking forward to it.

As for the watzat guesses, no one is even close. Think, people, think!

jonboy said...

Well, it's something that is crocheted, dangit ... perhaps a roldex cozie.
Or, for a banker, maybe it is a butt-ugly money belt.

Heck, i don't know.

spookyrach said...

Ha! Is there any other kind of money belt?

The rolodex cozy is not a bad idea. 'Course if ld claims he would've thrown away crocheted orange suspenders, I'm assuming he'd have no great love for a rolodex cozy either.

annie said...

But he made a point of telling us his father was a banker. Therefore, I believe it is probably something someone thought would be useful to a banker:

A lovely crocheted "thumb koozie", one of those things you put on your thumb for traction so you can count money faster.

I am right, aren't I??

And have you got those kitchen cabinets painted yet?

Patti said...

Is it an ash tray? A portfolio cover? A change purse?

jonboy said...

A shoulder strap for a guitar???

annie said...

I think it's about time to tell us what this is...