Sunday, May 21, 2006

I can't take it anymore


What?! Have I stumped the panel of experts? Well, the little stone dragon sits atop a tchop or seal stone. That is a block with a carving on the bottom that is the reverse image of a Chinese character or word. In the photo, the dragon seal stone is sitting on the box in which he is normally stored (along with a jar of ink and a small wooden stand) This particular seal has the symbol for long life, as you can see in the second photo. Made of Shou Shan soap stone, the tchop is less than 3.5 inches tall. The hole which is so prominent in the first watzat photo below is about the diameter of a number 5 mechanical pencil lead. Neat, huh?

If I had thought about it early enough, I could have had one custom carved with my name or favorite phrase on it. We were in Hong Kong for about ten days; that would have been enough time. But I didn't think of it until we were at the airport getting ready to leave. If you are interested, let me know and I will send you a postcard stamped with my "long life" tchop.

5 comments:

Princess of Everything (and then some) said...

I am a postcard fanatic so you know I have to have one!

annie said...

So, what you have is a stone stamp?....hmmm, very interesting.

Me too, me too, I'd like a postcard...

jonboy said...

I knew what it was all along. I was just trying to confuse everybody else .......

spookyrach said...

How cool! NOW it looks like a dragon, ha ha!

Patti said...

You shall never cease to amaze. I'd love a post card