Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Poignant memories

Cat and I just watched "The Constant Gardener" (again) even though we knew it would sadden us. If you have not seen the movie, I recommend it despite the R rating (yes, I am a prude). Much of it was filmed in Kenya, and although we did not recognize specific sites, it was all very familiar: the children constantly asking "How are you?" of white strangers, the matatus (van-sized buses), the red earth. Within the movie is the presentation of a play about AIDS and I believe that, the last time we were in Kenya, we saw the troupe which performed this in the movie. At any rate, the troupe we saw did something quite similar. They use an interesting technique whereby each role is played by three actors speaking and moving in unison. So 12 people play out a drama of a father, a mother, a sister, and a brother.

Seeing the movie made me long to be in Kenya again. With the drought there has been a rise in crime, mostly thefts and robberies. It is a more dangerous place for wazungu (white people) now than even a year ago. And yet, I have friends there to visit and projects which need attending. Well, I have to stop thinking about this or I will become morose.

No comments: