Saturday, January 28, 2006

How about another "watzat"?


As I waited for the photo to load, I thought about the proper way to describe it. One could not truthfully say "priceless" because in this world everything (as ebay has proven) can be priced. Isn't it odd how we abstract our interdependence into money? Here's what I am talking about. Let's say that in remote village A, where everything is quite unrefined, a woman with three goats finds herself to have a surplus of goat cheese. She realizes that her cousin, whose family is rather large, does not have enough food all of the time, so she gives the family some of her excess cheese. The cousin, in a natural response of gratitude, composes a song in honor of the goat-lady, and the family performs this song at the next village meeting.

Meanwhile, in less remote village B, an adolescent with a fistful of dollars from her weekly allowance goes into Hastings and buys a CD by her favorite (this week) artist. In both villages an exchange took place and music was received. But how did the events differ in quality? In village A the relationship of the elements exchanged was never measured. The song was not valued at two pounds of cheese, nor was the cheese determined to be worthy of one song and a poem.

In village B, not only was the exchange very closely measured, but it involved an item with no intrinsic value: money. The value of money depends absolutely on what people think it is worth. A fifty-dollar bill has no more inherent value to it than a one-dollar bill. Children know that but adults forget. We tend to think so highly of those bits of paper, that we imagine they have the power to replace our interdependence.

Let's say one of your friends has a son graduating from high school and you are sent a graduation announcement. Do you write a poem in praise of the student's accomplishment? Or do you send him a check for $25.00? Which would the student value more? Does that even enter into the decision-making process?
Well, the photo has been loaded for some time now. Just tell me what you think it is. To me it is priceless.

14 comments:

annie said...

These things frustrate me. If you had the answer posted elsewhere, I'd run go get the answer before I ever looked at the picture good!

On the other, hand this here written stuff is deep. Makes me wonder, just how long did it take that picture to load? (I see now that you kept writing after the picture loaded!)

Very interesting observations. At the moment, I am stumbling over the fact that the woman gave from her excess, did that gift actually cost her anything? It was just excess, something she did not need anyway.

I don't mean to distract from what you are saying. Sometimes I go off on weird tangents.

What you said about money is very true. I remember years ago, we were in London, and had to exchange our American money for English money. It was hard work for me to value the English money, it felt like play money to me, and I had to constantly remind myself that it was real money. That was the strangest feeling, spending English money.

little david said...

Annie, your comment about "excess" is interesting. In fact, the extra goat cheese would have been a result of the woman's work (not so much the goats), so it didi cost her something. And how much of a sacrifice was the composition of a song? But most importantly, why do we try to put a (monetary) value on these items? Why do we try to quantify what is "extra?" If we truly understood that God is supplying our needs, sometimes through the "excess" given to others, we would not be nearly so concerned about receiving a fair trade.

little david said...

Oh, yes, and on the issue of different currencies, you ought to see Australian money. It is made of plastic and is brightly colored. But that tends to emphasize its artificial nature, which I think is good.

Patti said...

Is it an old wall paper sample?

annie said...

Ooopsie, I forgot to take into account that the woman had to do whatever it takes to make the cheese. (It would seem that I am not much of a cheese-head!)

I think you may have put your finger on something in me that is not necessarily a good thing. When I started thinking about the woman giving from her excess (and not sacrificially), I started judging and I took on a Pharaseeic, legalistic attitude-- but Lord, the cheese is extra, she won't be able to use it anyway, so what she did was not all that admirable...even the heathens would do that. Yikes.

In village A, there was love in the mix, and that is priceless. Maybe love does not concern itself with fair trade when we truly understand that God is supplying our needs.

Is the photo part of an old picture or book cover? Those fronds on the right side of the picture look vaguely familiar to me.

little david said...

Good guess, Patti, but I think that Annie is on the right track (about the "watzat" but maybe about other issues as well). It is frequently said "It's the thought that counts." Unfortunately that phrase is used to excuse pitiable gifts, which in fact show little thought. But the "thought" is as important for the receiver of the gift as it is for the giver.

annie said...

Is it an old drapery panel? Photo from an old family Bible...or marriage certificate??

I am getting impatient here...

Whatever it is, it looks so familiar.

jonboy said...

Is it a photo of a painting someone did for you in gratitude for something you did for them?

Princess of Everything (and then some) said...

An old book? A piece of something? I still am in awe over the whatzit from Israel.

little david said...

Annie and Mindy are both right about this being from the cover of an old book. Got any guesses as to which book? I can give you the hint that some clothing is a part of this photo.

annie said...

Just give it up already and spell it out for us!

Princess of Everything (and then some) said...

Some sort of a diary or a ledger? Maybe your baby book?!?!

pppsssttt....I believe that annie is a bit on edge.....

annie said...

An old children's story Bible?? An old family Bible?

An old phone book cover?

Princess, what makes you think I am on edge? I am perfectly calm....

An old Roy Rogers book?...

It's a Bible. That's what it is...

see-through faith said...

looked like a icon to me