Sunday, September 17, 2006

A little bit of drama

Some time ago I was in a play called "The Young Man from Atlanta" by Horton Foote. The lead character, Will Kidder, is a Houstonian in his mid-60s who is about to be fired from the company he has worked for all his life. The young boss will claim that they have to downsize. To compound the pain, Will's son Bill has recently drowned. In the following speech, Will is rattling off his views to his younger associate (who will wind up taking his place in the company). Hope you enjoy the accent.

this is an audio post - click to play

5 comments:

Lori said...

Good Lord, that was good and I would like to hear more of that if you are so inclined......nice accent...you sounded like someone from here, but with an education.....:)

little david said...

Gee, thanks, Ayekah! Maybe next time it will be an extract from a play by Arthur Miller in which I had the role of a 90-year-old Russian Jew. (I loved that part, and evidently, so did Arthur Miller.) Now THAT required an accent.

Lori said...

Go for it.......I double dog dare ya!!

annie said...

Wow! Ya done good! I am impressed with your thespian ability, heartbroken for this character and durn it all, now I want to see the play!

Patti said...

Nice David! Love the accent. I will audiopost again, when I have time. I didn't like listening to mine because the Great Lakes vowel shift is so apparent (number sounded like nember, for example).

You gotta do the double dog dare thing, that's the rule.