Friday, September 01, 2006

Back in Fake Cow City

That is one very long flight coming back from the other side of the world. Because we passed through New Zealand on the way home, we had to go through four security checks in one day. At least we broke up the trip by stopping in LA for a few days to see our grandson (who is really quite cute).

Strange how, after two days of work, it seems so long ago now. Let's see if some photos will bring the memories back.

Look, Princess, they have painted cows in Australia, too!! This one was rather incongruously located inside a very pricey jewellery store. She is an "opal cow." Cat looked at a ring here which the saleslady confided she could sell her as low as $1400. We said, "Thanks, but no thanks" and scooted away.
Now, that's a croc, mate! He reposed peacefully at the Featherdale Wildlife Park in Blacktown (I promise that is the real name of the town) on the west side of Sydney. I guess we should have tried to come at feeding time. Speaking of which, see photo below.
And this is an Australian hamburger. The cafe is right on a low cliff overlooking the ocean. This burger was NOT the biggest one they make. That one is called "The Works." Greg had it. Cat ate all of the pictured burger, but not all the fries. Greg nearly passed out from eating his massive two-hander. Seriously! He got kind of woozy at one point. But then he finished his thick shake and felt fine. It is so wonderful when Dad pays for lunch.
One morning we hiked up a chunk of land that pokes out into the ocean. This was the view we saw when we looked back. The central coast of Australia features an alternation of cliffs and wide beaches. Gosh, it is beautiful! If you click on this photo, perhaps you can enlarge it enough to see the red-tile roofed house sitting on the green-tufted ledge of the cliff (about in the middle of the photo). Would that be a great view in the mornings or what?

7 comments:

Tim Wade said...

I used to live in Abilene back in the early 90s. It was my first (and thus far only) experience with a town that placed fake cows all over. I now live in North Carolina where in honor of the NC State University Wolfpack there have on occasion been fake wolves. It seems it doesn't matter where you go, the occasional oddity will always be there.
BTW - really great pictures!

Lori said...

Oh....my.....I am so glad I clicked on that photo.....it's just breath taking. You must have had a wonderful trip. Must be even weirder going from coastal to land locked TX. The burger looks good....I noted the relationship between the cow, gator then the burger and wondered what kind of meat it was. For a brief moment I thought you were trying to slip one in on us...glad you are back and hope you have more pictures!

annie said...

Look! There is a new and friendlier eye staring at me!

Glad you made it back. That is one huge crocodile.

I wonder if those folks have a porch to sit on and take in that lovely view...wow!

little david said...

Welcome to this site, Brother Wade! We have lots of plastic cows here where I live, but I think I would prefer that to fake wolves, especially if realistically painted!

Ayekah as far as I know the burgers were beef. Aussies seem to like beef. I never even thought about looking for a kangaroo steak or anything.

Yes, Annie, the new eye belongs to an imperturbable pelican living at the Featherdale Willife Park. I will feature some of his friends in future posts.

Hmm, figure this out for me: the word verification is "ckittyx". "See kitty expire" or "See (Miss) Kitty X"?

Captainwow said...

ok, now I'm hungry....

nice pics! glad you had a great time abroad! (as you put it: not a broad) hahhaaa!!

Princess of Everything (and then some) said...

A painted cow and a burger. Two of my very favorite things in life....what more could a princess ask for?

spookyrach said...

Wow! what a cool trip! I can't imagine getting to live with that sort of view every day. Would we just take it for granted or die from occular overload?

Their cows are better, too. Geeze.