Tuesday, September 12, 2006

I kid you not


Yes, it is an echidna. Only two mammals native to Australia lay eggs: the platypus and the echidna. After choosing the wrong one first, Patti did finally get the echidna. And Rachel gets a point since she said it was an anteater, because this spiky character does eat ants (although he prefers termites--they're juicier). The one in the photo was poking his nose into holes in the rocks looking for lunch. Check out this website if you want to know more: Australian Wildlife--Echidna. Really, they are fascinating creatures. I mean, can you flick your tongue out seven inches beyond your lips 100 times a minute? I'm just saying . . .

And speaking of platypuses, we did see a couple of these at the aquarium in Sydney. But the little rascals swim pretty quickly so the best picture I got was just the bottom half. So there are his two hind legs and his tail viewed from the underside. I say "his" because, well, . . . just because.

And for our last photo, here is another shot from the aquarium. I have done my dead-level best to enhance this so you can see this very odd creature. It is something like a seahorse, only the fins look like leaves. I think they call it a sea dragon. It didn't dart around the tank (fortunately) since it obviously hides best by acting like a plant. It's about six inches long. Hasn't God created some mind-boggling creatures? He's amazing, really. (God, that is.)

6 comments:

spookyrach said...

Haa ha ha ha! Those are pretty cool! I'm doing the Happy Happy Joy Joy dance 'cause I got a point.

This is off subject, but I have this idea. I'm going to try to get Rose and Chevy Pickup to re-enact a conversation they had recently to use as my next audioblog post. I don't hold out a lot of hope, because if I'm successful at convincing them to do it then I will have made all sorts of promises I can't possibly keep. But I'm hopeful!

Anonymous said...

hey, david. i like the leafy dragon creature. yes, God is amazing. And he has a sense of humor because he created me ;o) enjoy your Wednesday. pdw

Princess of Everything (and then some) said...

Oh man he looks like a hedge hog!!

jonboy said...

I must be working too much. I can't believe I missed an entire "watzat."

By the way, I can now honestly say that I have been mooned by a platypus.

Lori said...

All I am going to say is "Wow" to the picture....the sea dragon is very cool.....but I believe I can live a full and complete life without knowing more about that Echida or whatever in the he** it's called.

Captainwow said...

platypuses have always fascinated me!!! what fun!