Sunday, January 21, 2007

Time for another "watzat?"


Can you believe that I still have some of these "watzat?" photos? As with previous items, this is in my study. It is at least 35 years old. What do you think it is?

Tonight I led a Bible study for some college students. We were discussing the issue of how one knows the truth. When we discussed the necessity of trust in order to know the truth, I thought of the story in Genesis 3. You know this one--Eve is hanging around the garden when the serpent shows up with a proposition. Her decision is all about trust. Does she trust her husband (who told her to avoid the tree of the knowledge of good and evil)? Does she trust God (who spends time with her and her husband on a daily basis)? Or does she trust the very wily (and medacious) serpent? Clearly she wants to know the truth; she applies her analytical abilities to the tree. It looks good, the fruit is juicy, and it will increase her knowledge. So she decides to trust her analysis rather than to trust her most foundational relationships.

After they eat the fruit, the man and the woman are described in these terms: "Then the eyes of both of them were opened and they realized they were naked; so they sewed fig leaves together and made coverings for themselves" (Gen. 3:7). Sounds like they learned something. Maybe the "eye-opening" experience was educational. I don't think so. While they focused on the relationship with God and each other, they had no need of clothing. When they trusted their own conclusions rather than the relationship with God, they paid attention to their physical selves. Thye hid from the relationship. They covered themselves from each other. They got distracted from the truth rather than more knowledgeable. Truth has to do with spirit, not matter.

When we get distracted by our physical situation, we have taken our eyes off of God. When we trust our finite rationality rather than our relationship with the Infinite, we depart from the truth. Why is this so hard to learn?

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

without deminnsion i would guess a button...

Anonymous said...

and why is phylliswall.com not on your weirdo list? am I not strange enough to make it?

annie said...

Too bed you've gotten smart enough that the file name gives no clue...is it the eye piece to a looking glass of some sort?

And amen to this: When we get distracted by our physical situation, we have taken our eyes off of God.

annie said...

I meant to type "too bad", not "too bed"!...It's a brass watzat isn't it?

Captainwow said...

gasp! It's --- It's...... It's the HOLY GRAIL!!!

(top view)
I knew it was in the hands of someone I knew (or at least sort of knew) because I dreamed it in 1984.

kidding.
But it does look like a brass chalice from above or something. maybe I just have a wild imagination...

jonboy said...

I'm guessintg an urn of some sort. Or a speaker.

As for your question, it's hard to learn because we, as animals, are stupid. Anymore questions I can help you with?

annie said...

It's a duck call, seen from the top, the part where you put your mouth on it, yep that is what it is.

Ms. Captainwow, were you even alive in 1984??

little david said...

Phyllis: Yes, you are weird enough and I will put you on the list right now. But it is not a button.
Annie: Neither eyepiece, brass, nor duck call(!), but it is round.
Ginny: Yes, that's it! The Holy Grail!
Not! (Please try again.)
Jonboy: Oh, yeah, well, so are you. Urn, yeah, right!

Wow, my WV is really two words: "aquaon"

spookyrach said...

you stole the freakin' offering plate! And tore out the little velvet pillow thingy! Have you no shame!?

medacious is a cool word. (Ahhhhh, Bach.)

Its so much easier to believe in what we can see and touch and hear rather than the infinite. Why did creation hardwire us that way?

Princess of Everything (and then some) said...

Dang...even yall's comments show that yall are smarter than me!

I do not know why it is so hard to learn. About the time I think I have a hand on it *poof* I let it slip away.

My guess is a button or a drawer pull.

jonboy said...

OK ... so ... it's the bell of a trumpet with a mute in it.

annie said...

Or a cheap old candle holder from the now-defunct T,G & Y.

spookyrach said...

Yay for annie - congrats on remembering TG&Y! Did y'all have the horror that was McCrory's? Eew.

What the heck is this thing???

annie said...

Spooky - YES, we had McCrory's, and you're right, they could not hold a candle to TG&Y (Toys, guns & yo-yos!) and apparently, neither can this thing in the photo because if I was right, surely David would have said so by now...

I hope I don't lose my patience here...

I think the center was deliberately blurred out to throw us off the track and the metal is fuzy at the blurred edge, and there is glass in there too, I think, and oh yeah....I am losing my patience...what the heck is this thing???

Patti said...

The business end of a microscope? Or and eye-piece for a jeweler?

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.