Sunday, January 07, 2007

After a bit of readjustment . . .


Thanks to those who commented (or tried to do so) on the Return from Hibernation posting. Doggone if I didn't get all bumfuzzled trying to upgrade to the Google Blogger and a new template. This durned technical stuff!

OK, how about a photo of our grandson. My sister says he is just too adorable. (Well, she has only seen photos, but the kid is cute.) When we arrived in the town east of LA where he lives, the Christmas tree was decorated, but had no presents under it. According to our daughter-in-law's theory of How Christmas Should Work, presents should only make an appearance under the tree on Christmas morning. OK, so there was a huge pile of packages on Christmas morning. Orion was slightly overwhelmed. Generally he enjoyed chewing up the wrapping paper. About the time he started playing with one present, another wrapped package was put under his nose. The boy does NOT lack for toys, let me tell you. Next year, we will be conferring with the other set of grandparents beforehand to see if we can be slightly more rational about the whole gift-buying thing.

The Sunday after Christmas, I asked my Sunday school class what is authentic about Christmas. Since the date was first set during the time of Constantine (4th century), there is precious little info in the New Testament about it--only the two birth narratives (Matthew and Luke). No Christmas trees, no cards, no presents, no Santa, no snow nor jingle bells. Think I was being too harsh on them? Just call me the Grinch.

As I think about my cultural background, I see that so much of who I am devolves from my heritage. And it has been a largely undifferentiated heritage. I don't know where so many inclinations and prejudices got their start in me. Maybe this year I can examine a little more closely who I am, what I believe, and why I believe it. Happy New Year to you all.

4 comments:

Princess of Everything (and then some) said...

Wow! He has grown so fast!

annie said...

He HAS grown fast, and he is such a cutie-pie!

jonboy said...

Awwww ... he looks like a little boy.

I've never been one to really comment about the cuteness of babies (not that your grandson isn't cute), but I pretty much fall into the category of those who think all babies look alike and most of them are somewhat ugly and squishy. I once saw a mother who was showing off her newborn. I looked at her and said, "Is that new?"
She wasn't real sure how to respond.

Patti said...

Orion is BEAUTIFUL. If I were in your class, I might have answered "light." And as for cultural backgrounds, my poor kids are Jewish and Mohawk. They might be the only ones in the world.