Monday, January 01, 2007

It's January and I am back

I am back on the blog now and will try to be consistent with my postings. Thank you for being patient with me. I discovered that several people were relying on my blog to keep up with the happenings in our house. I will tell some saved up stories in later postings. Today I will describe a surprise that I had in December.

When my mom died several years ago, we inherited most of her houseplants. One of those was a mother-in-law's tongue (sanseveria) with leaves about three-and-a-half feet tall. Since it was trying to break out of the pot it was in, we decided to repot it. I took a couple of the smaller leaves and planted them in a 6-inch container which I placed in a south window.

Lo and behold, one day the small planting had a spike coming up with tiny buds on it! I had never seen a mother-in-law's tongue bloom before. (Evidently it does so routinely in tropical settings, but not usually on December.) Here's what the buds looked like.

The flowers turned out to look a bit like honeysuckle and there were large, clear, viscuous drops of sap which formed underneath the blossoms. I was tempted to taste it, but after reading that this plant is poisonous to animals, I am glad that I refrained. Have you ever had one of these plants bloom for you? Maybe it was once in a lifetime.

I hope that your Christmas season was warm with meaning. I will have photos of our grandson's first Christmas for later postings. How are those New Year's resolutions coming along?

11 comments:

annie said...

Hot-diggety-dawg!! He's baaaack! Welcome back friend, and Happy New Year to you and yours!

spookyrach said...

Glad you're back! I have an inherited mother-in-law's tounge as well. Its tried to bloom before, but always given up and died back before actually flowering. Those blooms are impressive!

(You were totally on our list to invite to our non-exsistent New Year's Party. Maybe we can do a birthday party in a month or so...)

annie said...

Hey look! You changed your look! It looks good! I am impressed!

Patti said...

Yay! I'm glad you're back. Christmas was good at our house. I made resolutions, but I'm not posting them-at least not yet. : )

Patti said...

I left a comment! Where is it? Oh, no! Google ate my comment!

jonboy said...

Woohooo! I'm the first to comment on Hibou's return. I should really get to work now.

Princess of Everything (and then some) said...

That is beautiful David! I did not know that they would bloom.

Miss you.

I get the message:

Comment moderation has been enabled. All comments must be approved by the blog author.

So moderate me dammit!

spookyrach said...

Yo! What's up? My comments not good enough to get published here? Huh? Huh?

Geeze.

little david said...

Uh, oops! I really didn't MEAN to enable comment moderation. So sorry. And thanks for checking in!

annie said...

Boy David, some of those people gete might testy about having their comments moderated!

Lori said...

ringing in late, but you were sorely missed and welcome back!! My WV says dingly....reckon that's a sing huh?