Monday, June 19, 2006

The weird world of nature

Last weekend, my wife's cousins had a reunion in Austin TX. About fifty people gathered to look at old photos, eat barbecue, swap stories, and just generally enjoy being together. We did an impromptu skit and one granddaughter sang "Crazy" which seemed to fit the audience. It was fun, even for me and the other in-laws. There was a lot of rain on the morning of the reunion, but the skies cleared before it actually began. It has been so dry here in West Texas that I was loving the smell and sensation of the humidity.

On the way home, we stopped at a park for lunch. My sister-in-law noticed something strange going on in a tree near the car. It seems that a wasp had attacked a beetle and some butterflies wanted in on the action. They kept coming up to the beetle until the wasp would chase them away. It was most peculiar. So intent were they on their business that I could hold the camera a few inches away without disturbing them.

4 comments:

annie said...

Good grief! That's an ugly beetle!
I am amazed that you were able to get so close to them.

I got a lizard this weekend perched on a branch and he was "showing his money" but that photo is blurred because the dogs ran up and I was trying to hurry before they scared him away!

(I got my post card today--many thanks!)

spookyrach said...

How Cool!

I got a lizard this weekend, too, Annie. Mine was in the house, being lazily observed and occassionally patted by my cat.

Stupid cat.

Captainwow said...

and the beetle is sayin "WHY IS EVERYBODY ALWAYS PICKIN ON ME?!"

Princess of Everything (and then some) said...

I am betting cat was not that close!

Word verification: cxouchg

beetles must say ouch with an accent.