Sunday, August 19, 2007

Long time no post

Wow, has it been ten days since the last post? Thanks for not bailing on me.* I cut out the article about SWBTS and put it on my office door. There have been a few comments, most sardonic.

Remember the neighbor across the street? The one that got me to thinking about hosting a neighborhood barbecue just to look for an opportunity to witness? Well, the other evening, he brought over a sack of veggies (his wife has a garden that is starting to overproduce) and we got to talking. Turns out that both he and his wife were raised going to church. He claimed to love the Lord and agreed that he should be going to church again. But he is working about 80-90 hours a week, so that leaves little time for anything else. He said that the barbecue was a good idea--maybe in October. Well, it would be cooler then and maybe most of the mosquitoes would have departed.

Over on Paul's site But a Poor Reflection, he has posted interview questions for me (and several other folks). Here are the questions with responses.
1. Why do you call yourself ‘Little’ David? Are you really a small guy or just very humble? Well, I am relatively short: 5'7" and shrinking as I age! My parents named me after Israel's second king, the one who evidently went up against a giant. Turns out he was short too. It would be disingenuous of me to claim that I am humble.
2. What is the biggest challenge for the church today and what can individual Christians do about that? And now for an easy question, eh, Paul? Churches in this century have a huge variety of contexts, particularly when compared to the first-century church. In some ways, the (biblical) advice given to them just does not connect today. But in a meaningful way, what the gospel writers have relayed to us about Jesus' words and actions, as well as St. Paul's advice to the beleaguered church, still speak to us now. The age-old challenge that I observe in churches I have called home is that of dying to self. We (and I am really a part of this crowd) still want God to sanctify us according to our ideas rather than submitting to what God has in mind for us. We want to be served rather than to serve. We want to be fed rather than to feed. In short, we continue to be babies. The most that an individual Christian can do about that is to constantly submit oneself to the Lordship of Christ: hear the Word, obey the Word.
3. You visited all the continents, except South America. What’s wrong with South America? ;-) And: if you had to move to South America, please tell us the preferred country and explain your choice. Nothing personal, really. I would have to polish up my Spanish or learn Portuguese in order to fully appreciate the experience. Curiously enough, since participating in an online conference several months ago, I have started a correspondence with a fellow from Guyana who is studying in England. I used Google Earth to locate his hometown in Guyana and to look at photos of the area. The photos revealed poverty and natural beauty, not unlike most parts of Africa. I think that I would like to visit this student. Who knows? Maybe I COULD live there.
4. The North Pole is melting. Do you care about this and do you think Canada, Denmark or Russia are entitled to claim the melted ice / the part of the globe where the ice used to be? Yes, I do care about global climate change and the consequent melting of the poles. I am ashamed of the inadequate response my country has made to this issue. As far as the northern countries claiming more land, though I have not pondered this before, my initial reaction is, sure, go ahead. If you can do something useful with it before the next ice age, be my guest.
5. You have rescued a highly talented artist out of a life-threatening situation. As a reward he offers to make something for you – for free! Please dream with me – what kind of artist would you like this to be and what would you like him / her to make for you? Hmm. Seeing as I have several artists in my family who have already produced some wonderful watercolors, oil paintings, pastels, and sculptures, I think that I would ask for music. Truly great music transcends the ages and touches the subconscious over and over. Purely instrumental would be fine and if there were lyrics, they could be in another language, I wouldn't mind (OK, well, I am not all that wild about German).

Those are my answers and here are the rules I agreed to:
1. If you are interested in being interviewed, leave me a comment saying “Interview me.”
2. I will respond by posting five questions for you. I get to pick the questions.
3. You will update your blog with a post containing your answers to the questions.
4. You will include this explanation and an offer to interview someone else in the same post.
5. When others comment asking to be interviewed, you will ask them five questions.

*Note to Carolanne and Paul--"bailing" = "bailing out, leaving unceremoniously"

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

five questions? will they be hard? ;o) shoot 'em to me...xray55@phylliswall.com hope they don't have to be "smart" answers!

spookyrach said...

Wow - very interesting questions. Reguarding number three: If you move to Guyana, would you be starting a Howletown? Would your Sunday School class have to pack up and move with you? On a good Sunday, we might even drink the kool-aid!

Your music answer was really cool, too.

(I'm with Phyllis: send me some shallow questions!)

little david said...

Phyllis--Thanks for playing. I will be formulating your questions and will post them by Friday.

Rachel--I think that the closest I could live to my acquaintance in Guyana would be New Amsterdam. It looks to be even smaller than the town in which you and I presently live, but it is on a river that feeds into the ocean a few miles north. The SS class could come for a visit, but no Kool-Aid. And I will get you some questions by Friday also.

Paul said...

Thanks for your thoughtful answers, my friend! I don't know that much about South America either and I only visited 2 continents so far, including the one where I live... so who am I to say anything about a globetrotter such as you?
Guyana must be a lot like 'our' former colony Surinam, I guess.
I know that my second question was not an easy one, but your answer is great. Dying to self - doesn't sound very attractive, but indeed that is what it's all about when we want to follow Jesus!

little david said...

Thanks for the questions, Paul. I now have a couple of readers who are volunteering to be interviewed.

dwg said...

do we get some life-lines? like email a friend or poll the audience? Sounds like fun; count me in.

Carolanne said...

Great answers, David. I especially liked your choice of "music"!!

By the way, we use "bailing" too - maybe we picked it up from some American TV show... who knows? But thanks for your thoughfulness.

Patti said...

Okay, if you had ever read Hesse, or Goethe, or Schiller, or Kafka (my favorite) in the original German, you would know that it is a beautiful language.

Oh, and interview me! I'm back.

Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!