Friday, August 10, 2007

Dream joke and you must be joking

Do you ever dream something that seems so logical and real and then when you wake up it makes no sense at all? I think that is a typical experience. Well, the other night, I dreamt that I had made up a joke, and when I woke up, the punch line actually made sense! OK, it's not the funniest joke in the world but it makes sense. Here's my dream joke:

At the hospital they kept having trouble with new interns from the medical school, especially in the pediatric ward. Many of the interns were brusque to the point of rudeness, even cursing in front of the children. The hospital initiated a program to try to sensitize the interns to the needs of children patients. They supplied the interns with little teddy bears to keep in their pockets, instructing them to give the bears to new patients as they met them. They also provided a list of alternate exclamations to use instead of swearing. You know what they called the program? "'Golly' docs and the free bears!"

OK, not hilarious but pretty good for a dream joke.

Now from the news, an item that made my jaw drop. It seems that Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary, largest seminary in the world (I think it still holds that title) is going to start offering a new degree: a BA in Humanities with a concentration in Homemaking. That's right, folks, they are teaching students cooking, sewing, home decorating. But not all students--only WOMEN students. No men need apply. There's seven semester hours of textile design and clothing construction as well as a three-hour course on the "biblical model for the home and family" (AP). Gosh, wouldn't it save time just to give 'em a chart with the hierarchy graphed out? How do you spend 45 contact hours describing a "biblical model" when everyone already knows what the teacher is going to say?

The new program is offered through their College at Southwestern and is designed "to prepare women to model the characteristics of the godly woman as outlined in Scripture." If you want to see a list of the courses required for the specialization click here and scroll down to Homemaking.* Somehow the idea of creating a bachelor's degree specifically for Christian housewives--how did they ever get that by the accrediting agency? I know that the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS) is one of the toughest regional accrediting boards in the US. I'm just floored, I tell ya. I'm a John Leland, Thomas Helwys kind of Baptist. This tripe going on today just makes me woozy.
-------------------
*The core requirements (108 semester hours) for the BA in Humanities includes a whopping 45 hours of Christian history and only three hours of introduction to social science. No psychology or counseling, no modern languages, no math, no geography, no music (well, 3 hours of "Fine Arts Perspectives of Life"). More PE hours are required than natural science. This is a Bachelor of Arts in Humanities???

9 comments:

Jody Harrington said...

I'm speechless. Tripe indeed.

MJH said...

All I have to say is if cooking makes this Baptist pastor's wife more in favor with God, I'm in trouble. I am seeing through the glass clearly now and things aren't very pretty.
Shall I throw my master's degree out the window?

spookyrach said...

Oh, this is reeeeaally embarrassing. I guess now's the time to finish converting to rampaging paganism. Evidently I'm already halfway there.

little david said...

QG--That was my reaction. I just stared at the newspaper article and gurgled.
MJH-Welcome to Gallimaufry! Sorry the news couldn't be better. If that master's degree was from SWBTS, you might as well use the diploma for a place mat, I am guessing. I can only imagine how embarrassing this is for their graduates out in the field.
SR--I wouldn't really take the opinion of Paige Patterson as my north star, if you get my drift.

jonboy said...

Ha, Ha, Ha! It's about time all you bra burnin', liberalism spewin', feminists learned your role! We gave you the right to vote and it's been downhill from there...

On another note, your joke sounds like something my dad would tell from the pulpit. :)

spookyrach said...

Yep, I got it. *grins*

Paul said...

Sorry for being off-topic, but please visit my blog to pick up your very own interview questions! (Sorry for keeping you waiting so long) Blessings

Carolanne said...

I've never had a dream joke before - sounds like a good way to wake up laughing.

I wonder if SBTS could help me to become more domesticated? Hmmm LOL

little david said...

Jonboy--Tell your dad he is free to use it as long as he does NOT credit me with it.
Paul--OK, I will take a look.
Carolanne--Haven't you ever awakened laughing before? One time I was dreaming about something funny and someone kept asking me to explain it. As I woke up, I realized it was Cat. She heard me laughing in my sleep and was trying to get me to tell her my dream!