Sunday, October 08, 2006

No one home but the birds

While in NM, my boss took several of us over to a chapel named Sanctuario de Chimayo. It is supposed to be the "Lourdes" of the Southwest, with people from all over visiting in hopes of physical healing for their ailments. There is a room filled with walking canes, orthopedic devices, testimonials, etc., left by the healed. I looked in the window, and it's all there. But no people were there on Tuesday evening. Only the pigeons were hanging out. Maybe it's better that way since we would have been curious onlookers intruding in the rituals of the ardent believers.

4 comments:

jonboy said...

I wonder if there is a little upper room full of left over pigeon-sized orthopedic devices.

spookyrach said...

That is an interesting place. Did you see the sign in the "dirt room"? The one that says don't throw holy dirt on the statues? That cracks me up!

The day we were there, the priest and nun/bouncer were there. They looked like something straight out of central casting. She was a mean little prunish lady and was totally in charge. He was just like Marlon Brando at the end of the Godfather - funny hat, sitting amongst the birds in the garden, waiting for the Big One.

Patti said...

That picture reminds me of a scary movie I saw once.

Lori said...

I wondered about all the bird poop......good grief!