Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Why this blog name

Since I have been tagged by Ayekah to explain where this blog name came from, I will rehearse its history. When I started blogging almost two years ago (Good grief! Has it been that long?!?), I thought that I would be preserving thoughts about life that I would pass on to my sons. I gave the site a name like "Words of Wisdom" or some such. I tried to post only weighty thoughts (go back and look at the archives if you dare).

Then SpookyRach and Princess Mindy and I were all at the same Relay for Life walk and as we strolled around the track, we told stories. After I told about both my sons' weddings (each unique), Mindy said, "You ought to put that stuff in your blog. Then you would pick up readers."

Hmmm. Whether to sell out or remain true to the original mission. Well, the original mission wasn't taking me very far, was it? Both sons considered the blog extremely nerdy. So I decided it was time for a change, time to lighten up. The new site would be a mixture of serious and laughable, grave and trivial. It would be a ... a... not an ana exactly since they would all be my thoughts. What sort of miscellany? Where's my Roget's?

Friends, do you have a Roget's Thesaurus in your home? I am not talking about those dictionary-styled imitation Roget's where everything is in alphabetical order (What good does THAT do?). No, I mean a real Roget's. The edition on my bookshelf dates from 1941, has my father's bookplate in it, and has the spine taped up. I wonder if I stole it from Dad or he loaned it to me? Anyway, find "miscellany" in your Roget's and you will find gallimaufry. For an etymology, see my Friday, October 14, 2005 post. I like it because it comes from Old French, like nennil [neh-NEEL] which means "absolutely, positively not." It's a good answer when your loved one asks, "Does this make me look fat?"

15 comments:

spookyrach said...

Ahem. As I prefer to remember it we were running around the track! ha ha!

I like both styles, but I know the stories about your kids were making me laugh till my sides hurt. Or MAYBE it was all the running we did!

Princess of Everything (and then some) said...

I still want to hear the wedding story again. Please...

Captainwow said...

I heard you were both running around the track wearing chicken suits and singing Beatles songs.

....but that was in the Enquirer....

annie said...

Oh...Captainwow, that must have been a sight.

David, I went back in your archives and read a few old posts, still have a few I want to read. I enjoy looking back to see how a blogger's style evolves.

little david said...

Captainwow, you almost have it right. We were discussing vending machines and started singing about Chiclet chutes while wearing beagle thongs (I'm talking about flip-flops, of course, with floppy dog ears on the sides. That's what made it so hard to run.)

Patti said...

Words of wisdom? I'll have to look in the archives!

Lori said...

What a great yarn you weave! Thanks for being a good sport and doing this.....and you aren't make fun of my lisp are you?

annie said...

Is Michael W. Fox aware that you have his eyeball on your blog? That picture spooks me for some reason (although it also makes me want to try to take one of myself like that)! When you wrote about it the first time I did not see the resemblance but today, I do.

Just out of curiousity, do you have a contact on in the photo?

spookyrach said...

I seem to remember the song/chant went sort of like this:

Chicklet chute! Chicklet chute!
You make other candies moot!
I love to chew the little gum -
Makes other candy taste like chum!

Do you remember the rest of it?

spookyrach said...

Woah! That was freaky.

One minute the fedorah. The next the All-Seeing Eye.

annie said...

Yeah, that all-seeing eye gets to me too, Rach...makes you feel guilty when you haven't even done anything...it gives me the heebie jeebies...and the willies...but it's not my blog, is it?

Lori said...

I noticed that eyeball as soon as the blog loaded and thought it was creepy too.........like some perv peeping through a key hole in a door.....And Annie, I don't think you need to be doin' any eyeball pictures.....

little david said...

So the all-seeing eye freaks you out, eh? I thought it was kind of spooky, too. Hee-hee-hee! OK, maybe I will change it out later. No, I am not wearing a contact lens.

As for the Chiclet chute song, that was the chorus and I only remember one verse:

Whenever I'm wending my way to the vending
Machine in the hall where I work,
I think about spearmint (and what the poor dear meant
Who told me she noticed my quirk).
For me's there's none better than what I can get here,
That chewing gum treat in a box.
They slide down the chute; they're all green and so cute.
Now I'm cooler than all of the jocks.

little david said...

OK, I started to correct the me's but I kind of like it that way.

spookyrach said...

HAAAA!

You know me - all in favor of spookiness.