Sunday, July 02, 2006

Been there, played that

Well, this morning in church, the adult handbell choir finally played the song that I wrote. The performance was not flawless, but it was better than several of our practice runs. The congregation seemed to appreciate it and bell-ringers from other choirs made positive comments. I think that it set a good tone for the communion service which followed and I was glad to offer it up to the Lord.

A historian friend of mine informs me that today, July 2, is actually American Independence Day as this is the anniversary of the decision made to declare independence from England. The document was signed on July 4, 1776, ratifying what had already been declared. The church will celebrate by having "preacher burgers" this evening (i.e., the preacher will be cooking the burgers).

Cat's sister is in town for the long weekend. We watched Syriana last night. It was a good thing that we watched this at home on a DVD because we had to stop every so often just to be sure we all understood the plot. This is NOT a linear movie. We may watch it again now that we know who is who. But I think I will fast-forward through the torture scene--gives me the willies. Anyway, it is a sad reminder that this is a fallen world and those with lots of money are going to do their best to control the way things go. If you rent this movie, take home a comedy also so that you don't get too depressed.

Gladiolas are starting to bloom now. I don't care for the color so much, but they were already in the garden when we bought the house. As hot and dry as it has been here in Fake Cow Town, we are glad to see anything blooming. The hibiscus is getting ready to bloom so I will try to get a good shot when the yellow flowers unfold. So how is your weekend going? I'm going to take a nap now.

9 comments:

annie said...

I was wondering what happened with the handbell music, you had never mentioned it again. Glad to hear it went well.

I feel plumb uninformed, I have not heard of that movie!

I happen to like the color of that gladiola, Sir David!

I am in your fair state this weekend, in the little town of Houston, having an okay time, all things considered.

annie said...

(and I have already had my nap!)

jonboy said...

The handbell thing rocked. Yours was a heckuva lot better than that medley you guys opened the service with.
I mean no offense, but that plunking sound when you use the mallets sounds cartoonish and drives me up the freakin' wall.
Yours was good, though. I loved the chimes. Much better than the "whack-a-mole" approach.

Patti said...

Our glads won't be blooming for another 6 weeks! I'm going to put that movie in my queue, right there with Ken Burns' Civil War. Yup, we're doing the Civil War thing this summer, Joe is going to learn about it in 6th grade. So I'm going to give him a leg up. Gettysburg trip and everything! Now I'm ready for a nap.

Patti said...

8th. 8th grade, not 6th. It's dark in here.

Lori said...

the glads are awesome.....we are so beyond any semblance of spring here...we're already into the summer grasshopper plague of the usual biblical proportion!

little david said...

Wow, you folks must have had some free time yesterday. Annie, what are you doing in Houston? The last trip I made there was a terror (and I have gone on safari in Kenya accompanied by gun-toting guides before). As I headed out of town during a Noachic rain storm, driving ten miles an hour beyond the speed limit and being passed by Houstoninas perturbed with my sloth, I promised God that I would not return there if he would only spare my life.

And thank you, Jonboy, for your refined musical review. We will try to find some way to incorporate more of the "whack-a-mole" approach just for your listening pleasure.

Patti, don't you just love Netflix? We have Proof coming to us day after tomorrow. I was once in a scene from the play (directed by a drama student as a class project) and was set to have the lead role in our university's theatrical production when Anthony Hopkins decided to show off and do the movie. So we scrapped that play to avoid comparisons. Um, Patti, is there a problem with the electric bill? You can tell us.

Ayekah, remind me, where are you generally located? We don't get locust plagues here (do boll weevils count?) but it can get very hot and dry.

annie said...

To make a long story short, I was in Houston visiting kinfolks. We lived there for a while several years ago. I learned then how to fall into the crowd and drive like heck or risk getting run over!

jonboy said...

Don't get me wrong, I generally like handbells. They just tend to lose some of their etherial beauty once you start "plunking" them.

Last time I was in Houston, my friend who lived there did all the driving. I was significantly scared for my life. That was about eight or nine years ago. I haven't been back.