Sunday, November 20, 2005

Weekend word L and the "watzat?"

The Princess of E(&TS) requested that before leaving for Thanksgiving vacation, I reveal the identity of the "watzat?" below. Yes, yes, all in good time. But first a vocabulary lesson. The "L" word for this weekend is LACONIC [luh-KON-ick]. The opposite of PROLIX (q.v.), this word describes a speaker who uses few words to communicate effectively. That's all I want to say about that. But there is another L word that most people know and many mispronounce: LARYNX. Have you heard people describe throat problems as having to do with the "lair-nicks"? That's "lair-inks," folks. It annoys me only slightly less than GW saying "noo-cyoo-ler" instead of "nuclear." A friend of mine used to laugh over her parents describing gay people as being "homer sectional." Well, that's enough bloviating; now for the "watzat?"
Lacquered spoon from Russia
This lacquered wooden spoon came from Russia. My friend Adele went on a mission trip to Russia and brought this back to me. So far it has just decorated my bookshelf. I haven't tried it for eating borscht, but it looks like it would do the job.
I will be away from the computer for a week, so I will catch up with you all later. Everyone have a thankful Thanksgiving!

No comments: