Saturday, November 19, 2005

Building a tomb from scratch

Metal studs and poultry netting
Last year the church I belong to developed an event which depicted several scenes from the nativity of Jesus. The sets were built of plywood, styrofoam, etc., and we drove people by them on flat trailer beds with hay bales as seats. At each scene the driver would stop while a narrator described the scenes. Costumed actors portrayed the characters (it was real easy for Joseph having a dream while he slept). The last scene was three crosses, and the narrator would explain how the birth of Jesus was incomplete without remembering the crucifixion. OK, so this year, we are expanding that idea with an empty tomb, accompanied by fearful women and a glowing angel (don't ask). And I am building the tomb. It has to be light enough for four men to carry it yet look like a cave carved out of rock. The top photo is of the metal frame with poultry netting (chicken wire to all you farmers) providing the skin. This will be wrapped with muslin dipped in a mixture of paint and glue. Today we just put on one panel of muslin (see below). I sincerely hope this works because it has already taken a lot of time and around $150. I will post photos as we make progress. I am hoping to get SpookyRach to help with the detail painting.

First strip of muslin

2 comments:

spookyrach said...

Ooohhh! I am always thrilled with tomb painting, don'tcha know! Let me know when you need some help.

(Did Cat tell you she and I showed up to help on Saturday but there was this testosterone haze in the air that made us sneeze? So we went home. Ha ha!)

little david said...

After all the estrogen I endure on these blogs, yer whinin' about testosterone!? Yeah, I suspect the chill north wind was a contributing factor.
We'll see if Alan adds any more muslin over Thanksgiving. I am guessing that I will need to go up to the warehouse a couple or three nights before the Dec. 3 workday. I'll let you know.