Thursday, November 10, 2005

Here's what it is

One morning while we were living in Oregon, I answered the doorbell to find a Hasidic Jew on the front step. He had the curls at his temples and a yarmuka, but he really didn't look all that Jewish. As it turned out, he was the son of our across-the-street neighbors. It seems that in his high school days, he had gotten offended by the Assembly of God church where they worshiped and had set off on a quest for meaningful religion. His quest ended with a move to Israel where he converted to Judaism and married a nice kosher girl.
When he finished telling me all this, he held out his hand and said, "I know that you are religious people and would probably appreciate this. The olive leaf is from the Mount of Olives outside of Jerusalem. The pottery shard was uncovered during a road-widening process. It is part of a Second Temple lamp."
Well, I received this with gratitude. A year or so later, I had moved to San Francisco to complete my seminary studies. My Old Testament professor was an archeologist, so I showed him the shard. He agreed that the shape of the opening (where a wick would protrude) did indicate that the lamp had been in use during the time before the Jerusalem Temple was destroyed by the Romans. There is every possibility that this little lamp was used during the time of Jesus.

4 comments:

Patti said...

Awesome. A gift from God.

Princess of Everything (and then some) said...

Oh David, the story made me cry. What a precious gift. I can think of no one in the world to better intrust that shard to. I know that it means so much to you. I am glad that you shared it with us.

jonboy said...

So ... I guess the medieval crack pipe comment was a little out of line.
But I knew they were burning something.

spookyrach said...

I still think it was a cinnamon roll.