Monday, April 24, 2006

Some bad news, some good, and a poem

Did I tell you that the water heater at our house went "clunk" yesterday? I got to stay home this morning while the plumbers put in a new water heater. The van is still in the shop with a blown head gasket. But I did get the bumper cover delivered and put it on my car. I will take a photo of the refurbished PWT-mobile for your viewing pleasure.

A couple of years ago we were invited to a party and the hostess asked everyone to write a poem about a hat and then wear the hat to the party. Once we arrived, we had to switch hats (and poems) with someone, preferably of the opposite sex. Then we sat in a circle and read the poems. Here's what I wrote:

Air passes through it and ruffles my hair.
This hat only serves to reduce the glare
From sun at the beach or out in the yard,
Mowing grass, raking leaves, nothing too hard.
It came from Hawai'i, I think from the mall,
And now it just hangs on a peg on a wall
In a room where the plants from Oahu are.
Bougainvillea, plumeria brought from afar
Bask in the warmth of a room full of light.

My hat simply watches through day and through night,
And misses the sound of the waves on a shore,
The warm breeze, the salt air, all this and more.
But he feels no regret being on the South Plains:
He's semi-retired. During winter he feigns
Indifference to weather and bides his time
'Til summer breaks through and then he feels fine,
This straw hat of mine with band of deep blue.
I like him a lot; after all, wouldn't you?

3 comments:

spookyrach said...

Sounds like a cool hat!

Glad your PWT-mobile is sporting some new parts.

annie said...

I'm glad too, about you car.

I enjoyed your ode to your hat!

Anonymous said...

I remember that!!! Sweet Nina!!!