Saturday, September 03, 2005

Weekend Words

Some of my blogger friends have taken to posting special series of posts on Fridays (you know who you are). I wondered what is interesting enough to me to do that sort of thing and it occurred to me that my fascination with words might just do the trick. I know at least 52 English words that are not generally used by the public, so a series on unusual words could easily last a year. Here's the first installment. I think I will do this alphabetically.

APROSEXIA (a-pro-SEK-see-uh)
Now that's a fun word to say, isn't it? Conjures up all sorts of images that have nothing to do with the word's meaning. Just think what they would say at the office in response to your casual comment, "Yes, I am doing a very hands-on study in the effects of aprosexia this afternoon. I'm afraid I won't be able to attend that On-the-job Safety meeting. It's a pity, but research does come first." What your colleagues would doubtless miss is that they would likely be doing the same thing, just in a different location. Aprosexia means the inability to concentrate. So the next time you suffer this disability, you will just have to excuse yourself with something like "I'm sorry but I get so aprosexic while eating chocolate." Hmm, that might be good for a box of Brach's from a secret admirer.

While we are at it, here's another word that begins with an "a" and ends with "xia": ataraxia (a-tuh-RAK-see-uh). This is a state of perfect tranquility. The adjective form is "ataraxic." Perhaps you will want to protect a friend's privacy by telling an erstwhile intruder, "Are you kidding me? You want to talk with her now? Don't you know how ataraxic she is at this time of the morning?"

4 comments:

jonboy said...

What are you? Some sort of acadmeic. I tried to memorize your new word, but I kept losing my train of thought ......

Princess of Everything (and then some) said...

Sorry....posted under the wrong name. Can you tell I have been updating??

I tried to memorize one of the words so that I could throw it in at Sunday School. Did not work. Think that I will have to write it on my arm next Sunday and try again.

little david said...

Well, there will be a new, perhaps more memorable, word this weekend. Maybe temporary tattooing can be avoided.

spookyrach said...

Tatooing is a good idea. We could do gang tatoos. Instead of being the "East Side 30" or "CFL" we could be the "Salmagundy Slayers"!

Or maybe not.