Thursday, September 29, 2005

Weekend Words E

Still no winners on the photo ID. Well, I guess I will just have to reveal the item in the next posting. OK, on to vocabulary.

First of all, let's talk about EGREGIOUS. I like this word for several reasons, one of which is that it contains my son's name. It means "spectacularly bad," not just horrid, but sensationally so. It is based on the same root as gregarious which means "very sociable." Ain't that a kick? Just that little "e" at the beginning changes everything. (Well, I guess it changes "very thing" into "everything." ~stunned silence before the groan~). So tell your boss, especially if he is rather dim, that his new marketing plan is so egregious, it's beyond description. Go ahead, tell him. I'll just stand over here.

And now for ENORMITY which I almost never hear used properly. Most folks think this refers to the state of being enormous. Well, that's a miserable little third- or fourth-rate definition, certainly not the preferred definition. Essentially, the word means "atrociousness." So, feel free to rave about the enormity of Ethel's cubic zirconium. She'll be delighted and so will you.

(I sincerely hope, as with Uncle Shelby's ABZ book, that you do not follow all the instructions given.)

3 comments:

jonboy said...

The enormity of this post is so egregious ..... Just kidding. By the way, you can't complain about the egregious marketing plan if you don't have one.

I'm just happy that I kind of know these two words and attempt to use them on occasion.

spookyrach said...

I love egregious. I can actually even remember when I learned this word - we were doing job interviews for a probation officer position. One of the applicants was an attorney from Oklahoma who'd not yet been certified to practice in Texas. He must have used egregious ten times during the interview. We didn't hire him, but I'll never forget that word!

Is the picture an extreme closeup of cat teeth? Or the last thing you saw before being attacked by a vampire?

little david said...

Ha-ha-ha, good guesses all, but not on the money. I will post the complete photo tomorrow. Promise.