Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Mousetrap, part 3


Friday morning, we had full dress rehearsal at 10:00 AM. That gave time for setting props, doing hair and makeup, posing for photos, and practicing the curtain call. When you are sitting 24 inches from a mirror, it is easy to think you have put on too much makeup. That's what Jennifer thought. She played the part of an eighty-year-old woman and thought that these were too many wrinkles. But When we got on stage under lights, from the third row of the audience you couldn't even see the makeup. She had to add more and darker lines for the performance.


It dawned on me that I had to treat the face that I was seeing in the mirror as a flat, colorless surface on which it would be necessary to paint a face. Every square inch has to be colored with makeup and all wrinkles need shadows. Since my character was a policeman, I thought it good to give him a bit of red on the nose and cheeks. When Cat took this shot, I was about halfway through putting on makeup. There was a student snapping photos all through the week. She promised to send me the files, but I never got them. So I can't show you what I looked like onstage (I know you are bitterly disappointed). But here is one more photo of backstage.

You can see from the people standing there just how tall the set was at the back. The opening in the background entered the stage about two-thirds of the way up. The table there is on a platform which was the highest point at which people walked around. Tell you what, if I get those photos from the student, I will post something later.

The next posting to expect on this site will be from Kenya. Yep, we are going again.

3 comments:

jonboy said...

Incredible set. I wish I could have seen the show. Although these pictures are good, they don't do the set justice. It was massive.

annie said...

But those people photos are just plain gross up close like that!

Will be waiting for a report from Kenya.

spookyrach said...

Woah!!! That's cool. You don't even remotely look like yerself.

Well, maybe remotely, but that's it!

Have fun in Kenya. In the interests of international good will, I feel certain you won't let the little kids be forced into making lanyards from plastic thread during VBS. ha ha!