Thursday, May 22, 2008

Back in the saddle again


Actually, it is back to monstrous projects again. Do you remember when I built a tomb for the resurrection scene for our church? The tomb has fallen and its skin lies moldering in the yard beside a church building. But I have been requested to build a volcano for Vacation Bible School. A big volcano. A big working volcano. You know what a temptation that was for me. So I have started the project, even took a vacation day to work on it. The idea is that the three triangular prisms all fit together to make a cone. Having the volcano in three sections will make it easier to cover in papier mâché.


The frame for this is 2X4 lumber and metal studs. The skin is chicken wire. Presently the structure is eleven feet tall and about sixteen feet wide at the base. There will be a top section added with all the fireworks. Patience, dear reader, all will be revealed.

4 comments:

annie said...

It does take a bit of patience to await the final results of such an intriguing project! I bet the kids will love the final results!

spookyrach said...

Damn! That's reeeeally cool. Almost enough to make me darken the doors during bible school...almost.

little david said...

Just wait until you see the flames come out the top of it. I will try to do a video.

annie said...

Rach, I don't think you ought to do Bible School. I'm afraid you might end up being tempted to put one of the little darlings IN the volcano, just to see them rise to the top!

David--Flames?? Oh my!