Saturday, June 16, 2007

"Return to normalcy"

It has been almost two weeks since we returned from Kenya. That is enough time for the body to re-adjust to this time zone. Enough time to get back to the routine foods. Enough time to get consumed by the work and church schedules. But there is no returning to normalcy. I think that "normal" is simply an idea. It doesn't really exist. It is just a collection of attributes selectively extracted from the processes of life. In some ways, the idea of normalcy distracts us from reality. Instead of being attentive to the distinct details of life's progression, we dully register only the "normal" attributes.


Now to something else. While we were gone, a neighbor watered our houseplants. Well, she actually opened the door so her daughter-in-law could take care of them. And the plants look terrific! Our plumeria had started to bloom right before we left and we thought we would miss the show. But it was in full flower when we returned. The plumeria is a constant reminder of Hawai'i for us. When we visited Australia almost a year ago, I collected seeds from a flowering bush and brought them home with me (sssssshhhh! Don't tell Homeland Security!) I waited until spring and planted them. Lo and behold, there are now four seedlings! The leaves fold together at night, and in the morning when they open back up, they actually vibrate from springing open. Can't wait for the flowers because they smell so wonderful.

I'm headed to Ruidoso next week to be in a play. If you happen to be in New Mexico on Saturday 23rd, go to the Spencer Theater in Ruidoso and buy a ticket. It's a small role, but part of a team effort that has not been without its challenges. The play is "Shadowlands" and it is based on events in the life of C. S. Lewis. I will take a photo of the huge wardrobe (free-standing clothes closet) that we built for the play. It is awesome.

6 comments:

annie said...

That first paragraph is a whole lot of thought to wrap one's mind around, but I think you have a valid point.

I'd love to be in New Mexico to see the play. Wonder who gets to keep the wardrobe after the play?

Glad you are back around the blogosphere.

jonboy said...

Don't focus on normalcy, focus on Status Quo.

The wardrobe is awesome, but I'm not sure anyone can keep it, other than the theatre department. It is 10 feet tall by nine feet wide. It is built in section to make for easy transport from our West Texas location to ruidoso.

My only regret is that I don't get to see your play. Our group is going over for the weekend, to try to raise money, of course, then staying for a few days of official work retreat. I'll show up for the retreat on Sunday.

Break a leg!

spookyrach said...

I think I'm normal and y'all are all weird.

But I could be wrong.

I really love Shadowlands. Last time I saw it was years ago in Lubbock when Dr. R. was C.S. Lewis. He was great. Is he doing that part again?

Carolanne said...

Looking forward to seeing the photo of the huge wardrobe. :)

Hmmmm. So you've got a piece of Australia growing in your home - now that's kinda cool. :)

Patti said...

I tagged you. You're it!

seethroughfaith said...

wondering if she could water our houseplants ...