Sunday, April 01, 2007

Catching up


I was gone all last week and had limited computer access. I was attending a conference on distance learning; the sessions were interesting and the people were very friendly (this was, after all, the Texas Distance Learning Association conference). I met several people who are Christians and were quite interested in our Kenya project. In fact, one lady got to the point that she started crying when I talked about it just because she is struggling with what God wants her to do in her life. She has already started a cowboy church service in El Paso, but feels that there has to be more that God has in mind for her.

The speakers at this conference generally got straight to the point without wasting a lot of our time convincing us that the theory was sound. You can read my notes at eLearning if you are interested. I will be adding to them over the next week. During Tuesday's general session, one of my new buddies volunteered me to respond to the keynote speaker, so I got to talk to all 800 participants. That was cool. And I met some people I had only known through email and phone conversations before. One of them turned out to have gotten his Master's degree from the University of Texas in French linguistics. So did I. And he participated in UT's exchange program with the Université de Nice. So did I! In fact he was the last one to participate in the program before the French folks changed the program.

While I was gone, the tulips in our yard started blooming. They are stronger this year than last. Maybe it is due to the prodigious rain we have had. Anyway, they are lovely and have a delightful aroma. I will be posting more flower pix as the season wears on.

6 comments:

annie said...

The tulips are lovely. Call me a dingbat, but I never knew they have a delightful aroma! It makes sense that they would, I guess I never thought about it before.

spookyrach said...

Welcome back!

Sounds like a pretty cool conference. Did you go to the cemetery while you were there? Didja? Huh?

jonboy said...

You were at a distance learning seminar with limited computer access ... interesting.

little david said...

Yeah, jonboy--800 people and ten computers in the internet café.I guess they expected us to actually spend time in the conference sessions instead of surfing the net.

Carolanne said...

Well I'm glad you had a good excuse for not posting and that you "brought a note"!

The tulips look really pretty.

Carolanne said...

So what's your excuse for almost another week gone past since your last post?
Hmmmmm.
Patiently awaiting your next post with bated breath.