Friday, March 09, 2007

Back from my nap


No, I was NOT taking a nap. Sometimes you just get real busy (I am not going to whine about that, however). So how about a combo posting? Let's start with a rock picture. This amethyst was bought in Austin, Texas (I think). I went to school there long enough to get a Master's degree. It was a cool town back then and probably still is, except the traffic is maniacal. Anyway, one often finds amethyst inside geodes. This piece is about 3 inches wide.

Now for a vocabulary item. A friend of mine sent a list of fake musical terms that included dill piccolino (a very small wind instrument that only produces sour notes) and alregretto (a tempo which the performer discovers is much too fast). But now let's talk about a real word: ort. This is not the "helping verb" my grandmother used to express an obligation (although she did say she was "too tarred to arn the close"). No, this tiny, completely English word means a scrap of food left from a meal. "'Scuse me, are you gonna eat that ort?" Or how about "Oh, I'm sorry for the misunderstanding. I said I was an ort collector." Well, you make up your own usages.


And finally we conclude with a "watzat?" This one should be pretty easy. It is in my study, of course, and we have had it for about five years, I think. Reminds me of a fireworks display. What do you think it is?











Here's the rug. It isn't old or expensive or even the right colors for the room, but it keeps my tootsies warm in the winter.

5 comments:

Lori said...

Reckon I orrta know this'n. But I haven't even the wildest guess.

annie said...

It's a clown wig, Ayekah....don't get me started on the Southern mispronunciations...maybe that is a rug of some sort...I hate when you say it ort to be easy David, because it never is.

Patti said...

A detail of a hooked rug. And 'Ort' means location in German.

Carolanne said...

My son eats all my orts.

Perhaps its a scarf or a beanie but I like Pattie's answer... it does look warm and we are going into Autumn, then Winter....

I'm glady you've finally woken up to the fact you needed to post again for we weirdos waiting willingly on your next watzat and other whatnots work!

little david said...

OK, you are all so clever. Yes, it is a detail of a rug. I will amend the post to show a better photo of it.

Stop by Spooky Rachel's site (see link from my menu) and give her your condolences. Her grandmother died on Thursday.