Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Back from Hong Kong


Yeah, that's right, I went to Hong Kong. "So soon after Kenya?" you might ask. Yeah , the jet lag is killing me. My poor body doesn't know when to be awake and when to be asleep, kind of like SpookyRach, I guess. It was REALLY hot and humid. Cat and I went with the handbell choir from my church. We played about 8 concerts, some of which were outside. In the middle of the day. When it was REALLY hot and humid. (Did I mention that?) We were sweating in places that we didn't know had sweat glands. There were some unusual uses of antiperspirant, I can tell you. Even the bells sweated (see photo).
But we met some really wonderful people. Little kids wanted to ring the bells. One old man sat on the ground and clapped loudly. When the director was announcing the next song. (I suspect his soup was short a wonton or two, if you get my drift.) And then there was Kristen from Alabama who was there helping a church youth group and Ann the Philippina maid who came to see us often even though she lived an hour away by bus, train, and foot. All of us got gooosebumps when the congregation of the Kowloon International Baptist Church began singing "Shout to the Lord" while we were playing it. No one asked them to, they just felt that was the best thing to do. And they were right.
Next post I will put a photo of Hong Kong harbor or maybe the night market. Or maybe both.

2 comments:

spookyrach said...

"...short a wonton or two."

Ha! You made me laugh out loud - which is weird at midnight when the only thing stirring in the house is the mouse.

Glad y'all are back! (That is a cool picture.)

I'm going to bed!

Princess of Everything (and then some) said...

That must have been such a wonderful emotional experience! You get to go to the best places!